According to the Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety, the following is what is expected of employers when it comes to keeping people safe in your workplace. Have you done all of these things? Do you have records to prove it? If not, contact us and we can help.
What must my employer do to help protect me from COVID-19?
- Take all reasonable precautions and control measures to protect you.
- Provide you with education and training about potential hazards and the measures being taken.
- Make sure you have access to proper training on using any necessary personal protective equipment (PPE) or cleaning products.
- Investigate health and safety complaints reported by you or other workers.
- Follow guidance from the local public health authority.
- Complete risk assessments. They must consult with the health and safety committee or representative, workers that perform the tasks, and other people who can complete risk assessments.
- Make sure new measures do not create new hazards (opening a fire door, blocking emergency exits).
- Evaluate changes to make sure that measures are protecting you and update them as needed.
- Evaluate potential impacts of COVID-19 measures on emergency preparedness. and communicate how to respond safely in an emergency. They must tell you how to respond safely in an emergency, including any changes to procedures or your role.
- Communicate any changes on how the company will deliver goods and/or services.